* From November 6-10, 2017 Guanajuato will host the year’s second SIMA (Inter-Institutional Seminar on Random Matrices), an international event on the subject of Free Probability. Seminario Interinstitucional de Matrices Aleatorias 2017, SIMA II: Probabilidad Libre.
* Carlos Vargas is one of the organizers of the Mini Workshop on Homotopy Probability Theory, to be held in Saarbrücken, Germany from September 4- 8, 2017. Pierre Tarrago will also be participating.
* During the semester from August to December, 2017, the following courses will be offered:
A Course on Non-Commutative Probability, Octavio Arizmendi and Pierre Tarrago, Tuesday/Thursday 12:30 – 13:50
Matrices and Random Graphs, Víctor Pérez Abreu and Carlos Vargas, Tuesday/Thursday 9:30 – 10:50
* Octavio Arizmendi is one of the organizers of the special session Free Probability and its Applications as part of the 2nd Mathematical Congress of the Americans, July 24-28, 2017, in Montreal, Canada. Also participating in the session will be Mario Díaz, Víctor Pérez Abreu and Pierre Tarrago.
* On July 6, 2017, Saúl Rogelio Mendoza Jacobo made his defense of his thesis for a degree in mathematics at the Autonomous University of Sinaloa. Saúl will commence his master’s at CIMAT next August.
* On June 6, 2017, Jorge Garza Vargas made his defense of his thesis for a degree in mathematics.Jorge will commence doctoral studies at the University of California, Berkley next August.
* As part of his doctoral work, Marco Tulio Gaxiola Leyva was on an academic placement in Sendai, Japan from April to June, 2017, collaborating with professor Nobuaki Obata of the University ofTohoku.
* Students Mauricio Salazar, Jorge Garza and Adrián Celestino took part in the École de recherche CIMPA "Aspects algébriques, combinatoires et analytiques des probabilités libres", in April 2017, in Settat, Morocco.
* On January 6, 2017, Paulo Cesar Manrique Mirón made his defense of his thesis for a doctorate in probability and statistics at CIMAT.